31 Dec Looking Back At 2013
Taking a quick look back at our adventure during 2013. Here are a few tidbits of information and some photos that you may find interesting.
We have …
- Cycled from our house 297 days ago at 07:15 EST on 9 March 2013
- Cycled 4377 miles or 7044 kilometers
- Cycled in USA, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, France, England, Scotland, & Germany
- Traveled on 7 ferries, 2 buses, 1 train, 1 airplane, & 1 auto
- Camped 150 nights, Stayed with Friends/Family 96 nights, Warmshowers Host 6 nights, & 45 nights in “other” (hotels, nursing home, Bomberos, Alberques, HelpX)
- Strangest places we slept were in the bus/taxi stand in Morocco or next to the circus in Portel, Portugal
- Best memories, there are too many to list, but here are a few:
- Our farewell (297 days ago) with many of our friends and family
- Kayaking in Portugal with 70 teenagers on their last day of school
- Cycling the Camniho Portugues
- Watching an international horse jumping competition in Blaye, France
- Visiting the D Day Beaches and memorials in France
- Walking through the markets in Morocco
- Cycling the British Canals
- Hiking in the Scottish Highlands
- Doing HelpX on Steelend Farm & sailing in Scotland
- Spending time with family/friends & meeting all the great people along our journey!!
- Experienced 2 flat tires, 1 cracked wheel rim, 1 cracked crank arm, 2 failed Thermarest air mats, & replaced 1 chain & changed our Rohloff hub oil once
- We mostly cooked all our own meals, but when we did treat ourselves it was always something that was from the area and we only drank local beer & wines.
- Most expensive month was May, least expensive was October
- Low point, waking up to snow in Morocco on 22 May and having no winter clothes
- Regrets: not cycling more in Scotland & not going over to Ireland
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!